The HOBOnet Multi-Depth Soil Moisture Sensor is a wireless sensor that works with the HOBOnet system to measure soil moisture and soil temperature at multiple depths with a single probe, for fast and easy installation. This durable sensor is available in three probe lengths for measurements from 45 cm (18 in) to 90 cm (35 in) deep.
Featuring GroPoint’s TDT5 technology with patented antenna design, these sensors measure soil moisture along the entire length of each probe segment, resulting in the largest volume of influence per measurement section. A high frequency of pulses per measurement provides precise and consistent soil moisture data.
We recommend using the optional pilot rod and slide hammer for quick and easy installation. Onset offers two options for the pilot rod, the PILOT-ROD4 (28”) for use with the three- and four-segment sensors (RXW-GP3 and RXW-GP4), and the PILOT-ROD6 (40”) for use with the six-segment sensor (RXW-GP6). This is the best and easiest method for installation however does come at a high cost. This would tool would be ideal if you have many sensors to deploy.
We also recommend using Australian made Dormer Soil Augers to create a suitable hole for the soil sensor. OneTemp can supply a suitable auger for your soil type if required. This method will require a soil slurry method to backfill the hole around the sensor.
The HOBOnet system is a cost-effective and scalable wireless sensor network for web-enabled monitoring of field conditions for applications such as crop management, research, and greenhouse operations. And because it’s wireless, you can deploy a network of sensors to easily monitor multiple points with a single system, while avoiding the risk of long cables that can interfere with field operations. Sensors are easily linked to the network, and data can be accessed through HOBOlink®, Onset's innovative cloud-based software platform.
- Available in three probe lengths: 45 cm (18 in), 60 cm (24 in), and 90 cm (35 in)
- Soil moisture measurements over entire probe segment lengths
- Soil temperature measurements at multiple points
- Largest volume of influence per measurement (2 L volume of influence per 15 cm segment)
- Advanced filtering of 400,000 pulses per measurement eliminates outlying readings and provides precise, repeatable soil moisture data
- Polycarbonate housing and epoxy-sealed circuit board protect vital components during installation and throughout deployment
- Easy installation with minimal soil disturbance.
- 900 MHz wireless mesh self-healing technology
- 450 to 600 meter (1,500 to 2,000 feet) wireless range and up to five hops
- Up to 50 wireless sensors per HOBO RX station
- Simple button-push to join the HOBOnet wireless network
- Onboard memory to ensure no data loss
- Powered by rechargeable AA batteries and built-in solar panel
In what environment does this operate?
This operates in an outdoor environment.
What measurements does this support?
The supports the following measurements: Soil Moisture and Soil Temperature
What's in the Box?
- HOBOnet Multi-Depth Soil Moisture Sensor
- Two AA 1.2V rechargeable NiMH batteries
- Cable ties